Saturday, March 26, 2005

Dunwich Dynamo

Yay! I got my new bike today, nothing overly special, a nice Ridgeback with locks and a few other extras thrown in for just under £200. This purchase was brought on by my decison to take part in the annual Dunwich Dynamo; a 200km ride through the night from London to the east coast. It takes place on the Saturday night nearest the full moon in July each year and last year over 400 riders were involved in the lunacy.
The route:
Hackney
MARTELLO St. MARE STREET
CHURCH PATH LOWER CLAPTON RD POWERSCROFT RD CHATSWORTH RD LEA BRIDGE RD
Waltham Forest
Essex
EPPING FOREST
EPPING
NORTH WEALD
MORETON
FYFIELD
LEADEN RODING.
GT. DUNMOW
GT. BARDFIELD.
FINCHINGFIELD
WETHERSFIELD
S. HEDINGHAM
C. HEDINGHAM
BULMER TYE
Suffolk
SUDBURY
GT. WALDINGFIELD
MONKS ELEIGH
BILDESTON
NEEDHAM MKT
CODDENHAM
HEMMINGSTONE
GOSBECK
HELMINGHAM
FRAMSDEN
CRETINGHAM
BRANDESTON
KETTLEBURGH
FRAMLINGHAM
BRUISYARD
PEASENHALL
SIBTON CHURCH
DARSHAM
WESTLETON
before finally reaching DUNWICH Village; which doesn't exist. Coastal erosion means that the town was lost some years ago but the ghostly tolling of the church bells can allegedly still be heard from their watery grave.
There's a feeding station around the half way mark in the village hall of Gt Waldingfield providing hot drinks and hearty food.
I'm told that most pople would expect to arrive in Dunwich between 7am and 9am the next morning (Sunday).
I'm cycling 15 miles a day at the moment but I'm going to have to seriously increase my fitness if I'm going to survive this!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home